Can I have a Survey?

The buyer of a property under an REIQ contract is entitled to have the land surveyed. This will normally involve a surveyor going onto the property, ascertaining where the corner pegs are located and drawing a map showing the location of the boundaries and the buildings on the property in relation to those boundaries.

If a neighbour’s building extends onto the property being purchased, or a building on the property being purchased extends onto the neighbour’s property, then you may terminate the contract. You may also terminate the contract if the area of the property is substantially different to what was represented to you. Due to the large costs of conducting surveys, most buyers will only obtain a survey when they are concerned about a building crossing the boundary.